I’ve heard many young women converse about weather a Postpartum doula is actually necessary or not and what do they do for the money they charge. As a Postpartum doula I can assure you that hiring a Postpartum doula is not a waste of money for the help that is provided to the new mother and her family.
Here are some of the services I provide for my postpartum clients:
- Listen to the new mother/family regarding their wants and needs for their family.
- Help the new mother with breastfeeding issues, or bottle feeding if needed.
- Help with the issues of recovering from a C-section or the stitches from a vaginal birth if an episiotomy was performed.
- Listen to any all concerns regarding how to bath her infant, caring for circumcision (if done), care of navel (before cord stump falls off), fussy baby, exhausted mother, etc and how to advise and help with her family situation.
- Prepare meals for new mother & family.
- Light housecleaning.
- Help with child care of other siblings if needed.
- Help with the care of household pet(s).
- Light laundry.
- One of the biggest issues is: LETTING NEW MOTHER GET THE REST AND SLEEP SHE NEEDS TO CARE FOR HER NEWBORN AND HER FAMILY.
- At times will spend the night especially if needed. My actual goal is to help the new mother gain more confidence in herself, the care of her newborn, help her manage her new family and to work myself out of a job. I feel completely honored when hired for my doula services either Birthing Doula or Postpartum Doula, in the sharing of the birthing event or becoming part of my clients new family.